One day after sharing with you my customer engagement where we discussed provisioning ‘Storage for Desktops – Simple VersusComplicated‘ I was informed of a post from another storage vendor that verified my premise.
- A requirement to provisioning physical RAID groups and map each to a function in the solution
- No sharing of capacity or IOPs between the RAID groups
- No dynamic resizing of the capacity in a RAID group if it is sized incorrectly
- SSD to compensate for the slow performance of the spinning media
- The increased financial cost of SSD drives (roughly still around 20X price premium per GB)
- The increased CPU cost to process the multiple RAID calculations of each group
I still believe the NetApp model is a much simpler & efficient model.